Thursday, October 24, 2013

Zodiac's Origination From Babylon

    Among my week of research one of the things I first encountered was the origination of Zodiacs. One of the first things I learned was that in astronomy and astrology the word Zodiac derives from Latin. which comes from the Greek meaning "circle of animals."
Chinese Ox Zodiac
    Little did I know that there are several different Zodiac calendars, each of which ranging in diversity. In fact, for quite some time I had no knowledge that sign calendars differed. For example the Chinese calendar. A couple years ago my lack  of knowledge resulted in my possession of a Zagg(aka Invisishield, the protective film they put on the blades of military helicopters)  ox designed, Droid skin. I had this case for over a year with an explanation I cannot recall. After receiving puzzled looks and being questioned about my odd case, following all my friend's curiosity was my father. Whom of which then preceded to ask the same questions everyone else had. After telling him it was(to my knowledge) my Zodiac sign he then corrected me and told me I was a Leo. Ever since then it has been made clear that a Lion is much more appealing to the eyes, as was the reactions. Reactions began transforming from, "What's on your case? It looks odd." to, "Is that a Lion? I like it, very cool." Ever since I became aware of my error, I have been curious as to where Zodiacs originated. I then decided to expand my horizons with the use of this term.
    In the early 4th century (B.C), in such a time where astrology and astronomy did not differ, Babylonian astrology was introduced to the Greeks. After the introductory to the Greek ancient astrologers studies, such as Plato and Aristotle, played a large role in how astrology was labeled. If it were not for astrologers, astrology would not have been regarded as a science until much later on.
     After learning that Babylonian astrology was the origin of Zodiacs.Not only did I learn that the Zodiac originated in Babylon, but that, in astrology, the Zodiac was born from the first organized system. The first organized system arose in the second millennium.
    After uncovering the general information about the origins of Zodiacs, I then was hit with curiosity as to how the signs of the Zodiac came to be. In Greek the Zodiac is a circle divided into twelve 30 degree "slices" of celestial longitude with the center being the ecliptic. The paths of the Sun, Moon, and visible planets all fall near the ecliptic(the center). I also learned that the paths are at a consistent distance near the ecliptic. This is called the belt. This belt spans 8-9 degrees north or south of the ecliptic. While researching I came across a term I had never really understood. I couldn't think of any reason not to look it up. While following my curiosity I came across the term vernal equinox. I found that it is where the ecliptic intersects with the celestial equator, and when the sun moves in a northerly motion. To simplify it all, the Zodiac is a (celestial) coordinate system, more specifically an ecliptic coordinate system. In the ecliptic coordinate system the ecliptic is the origin of latitude, and the sun at the vernal equinox is the origin of longitude.

1 comment:

  1. How did the Greek zodiac come to be used in fortune-telling?

    ReplyDelete